Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Mystery Man - Review


While drinking cosmopolitans, Gwendolyn Kidd meets the man of her dreams. Then she takes him home. Then she wakes up alone. But her fear that she lost her dream man turns into a relationship with a mystery man when, night after night in the dead of night, he comes back for more. Hoping it will blossom into something real, she lets him. But she doesn’t even know his name. Gwen’s struggling with the decision to end their crazy non-relationship when her sister-from-hell, Ginger’s best friend pays a visit and warns Gwen that if she and her sister don't get smart, they'll both get d-e-a-d, dead. Gwen has no clue what’s going on but she’s used to Ginger’s antics and decides to lay the problem on her sister’s biker boyfriend's doorstep. Bad choice. She hits the Denver Underground radar with a big, loud ping. This means Gwen’s Mystery Man, Cabe “Hawk” Delgado has to step in to keep her safe. But when Hawk gets a dose of Gwen in the daylight, he makes the decision that he finally wants real with Gwen. However when Gwen gets a dose of badass, bossy, straight-talker Hawk in the daylight, she decides she’s done. Thus begins the head-to-head of the Commando vs. Cosmo Girl as Hawk woos Gwen in his own unique way, Gwen survives firebombs, drive-bys, kidnappings, hot pursuits by biker hotties and gorgeous police detectives and discovers the heartbreaking reason why Hawk kept her at arm’s length. And as all this happens, Gwen finds that her sister’s troubles are serious trouble and she must decide who to keep alive: her sister-from-hell or the man of her dreams.  



**Summary taken from Goodreads**



You know those books that within a few pages just punch you right in the gut with just how freakin' F-AMAZEBALLS they are and you can't stop reading no matter what the time of night it is until you've soaked up the very last word??? Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley is that such book! 

Oh gawds. 

I'm going to babble, I know it. I'm breaking with Sparkly tradition  and saying right off the bat this is a 5 SPARKLES book, because I just KNOW babbling about all the ways I loved it is going to ensue. 

I'm going to put it out there, I'm a total noob with Ms Ashley's books.While talking books with a friend last night I came across Mystery Man quite by chance and being an uber fan of the alpha males I got right to reading about Gwen and Hawk. Mad love for both characters proceeded and kept me awake until 4am! 

Mystery Man (Dream Man, #1)It's well documented on the sparkly blog that It's hard for me to like many heroines, between being bitchy, or overly tough or just plain stupid, I'm rarely a fan of the lead girl. Gwen was brilliantly written, I loved her no filter between her mouth and brain, and her ability to run her mouth off with the funniest ramblings. There's this one such rant about her sister and barbie dolls that had me laughing out loud..she describes herself several times as a slut, for having this fuck-buddy (without the buddy part) with Cabe and later in the book falling into someone else's bed (my ONLY pet peeve with her ) but with a fucked up past with her mum and sister and ex-husband, I thought Gwen was just a typical girl, full of the usual neurosis we all have lol! 

And she has not one but THREE hot guys lusting after her ass. Damn. I want to be dipped in whatever she spritz's on every morning. I had a hard time at first believing that she'd been doing the hip-nasty with Hawk who she only knew as MM (mystery man) for a year and half and not question him about who and what he was ( since he seemingly let himself in and out of her house with no key. Houdini got sexy! ) or want more from this relationship, despite her doubts and insisting she was going to end it she never did. BUT then towards the end of the book we see that he can give four orgasms in thirty minutes! Game Over. Dude can break and enter my house and eat all the cheese from the fridge and I'd be good with that *laughs* that is a fiiiiine exchange! 

Mystery Man drops you right into the middle of their story, no lead up just BAM, and I loved that, there's action and suspense, humour and all out flirting romance right from the get go, just when you think nothing more can happen to this ditzy loveable heroine it does! And she has gorgeous cops, sexy commandos and tattooed bikers all vying to swoop in and rescue her. I was already drooling like some whacked-out imbecile seeing TACK on the page. Leader of some biker gang/repair place, tall, tattooed and with a sweet tongue. I was ready to push him into 'book boyfriend' status, even though he was only a secondary character... 

“You need mouth to mouth?” Tack asked, leaning in. I took a step back, clamped my mouth shut and shook my head. “Shame,” he muttered, leaning back.
“All right, peaches, what I’m sayin’ is, you get in a situation, you mention my name. That means protection. Now do you get me?”

I SO get you! Unf. 

and then Cabe “Hawk” Delgado appeared and wasn't he just perfection itself. Swoon. A lot bossy. Some arrogant. Hellishly gorgeous with abs and tall-goodness and another sweet tongue that can make the simple word 'babe' into the most beautiful tummy jarring endearment. I loved him so hard. He's a 'get it done' kind of man, and I liked that we didn't know much about him. Mysterious is sexy! He has a past, that brings a tear, and a family who are adorable. God, his parents are so fab! It's not often secondary characters have much substance other than to play filler to the main leads, the author was brilliant in fleshing them all out, including Gwen's folks and best friends and did I mention the hot hot HOT cops and bikers and commandos? Dayum. 

Favourite Quotes: 


I felt my eyes get squinty. “Is that why you’re here?” He shook his head. “I’m here ‘cause when you come, you come hard, you don’t hold back but you do hold on and you do it tight. I’m here because when you call me baby in this bed, I feel it in my dick. And I’m here because you don’t hesitate throwing attitude when every other woman I know doesn’t have the guts to say boo to me. Seein’ you scared and wantin’ to do something about it was just an extra reason that made me want to be here.”  
“I need to quit,” Elvira announced. “I gotta turn in my resignation. I can’t work with a man knowin’ his capacity to give pleasure. I mean, I can work with a man guessin’ his capacity to give pleasure but not knowin’ it. This is it. I hit the threshold. I never understood TMI.In my opinion, no amount of information is too much information but I’ve found it. I’m here.”
He stared into my eyes then his head slanted and, just like Hawk, he gave me what I wanted most in the world. 


From page one to the very last word of the EPICally awesome epilogue I adored this authors words, written simply, in first tense, not usually a favourite of mine but she depicts a character like you're having a conversation with your best friend and it just draws you in. 

Gwen's cookie dough, shoes and little black dress obsession, to Hawk's overbearing bossy and closed off nature and all their wicked flirting and PDA's this is a contemporary romance book that is definitely put on my 'Must read WILL read again' shelf.  

The males of the book definitely reminded me of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, but in human form, they all have the same way of speaking and they're chocked full of the hero complex it's almost too much for a reader to contain a squeal or three. hah. 

I'm late to the party but I can't wait now to stalk every last written word from Kristen Ashley! 

An absolute MUST READ - I give Mystery Man by Kristen Ashley 5 Sparkles out of 5!! 

You get me?.. 

Swoon! 

PS. Hawk buys Gwen a pair of Jimmy Choos. For that alone I would fall in love with him. 

PPS. I reaallly want to visit the Lair. 


3 Speak to Me:

Victoria said...

You said everything I felt while reading it, babes!! I couldn't put it down.

It was the same feeling I get when I read the BDB crack. ADDICTING!

Wonderful review. I'm sooo glad I was talking books with you to discover this. Book two next! =)

Jenn said...

SHIT!! Sounds good! must read it. Love me some Alpha males.

Minx said...

Ok Bearsy, you have just made me spend money! Loved the review, now off to see if I can buy the book on Kindle!!

*muah*

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.