Monday, 22 August 2011

Caressed by Moonlight - Review


Dorian Vlakhos is no ordinary aristocrat. He is a vampire king, who will do anything to save his clan from complete annihilation, before an ancient curse can claim his immortal life. Penniless and orphaned, Victoria Kingston has nothing to bring to a marriage, yet she must shackle an unsuspecting gentleman into marriage by the end of the month or forfeit her rights as guardian of her younger sister. With the help of her dearest friend, Victoria begins her hunt, and vows to stay far away from the dark, mysterious, Prince Vlakhos.
After meeting the beautifully innocent Miss Kingston, Dorian had to have her. He would do absolutely anything to make Victoria his. One sweet stolen kiss would bring them together while a force, more powerful than any vampire would bind them for all eternity. But treachery, war, and death rule Dorian’s dark world and Victoria would be fortunate to survive. 

**Summary taken from Goodreads**
Disclaimer: Provided by author for honest review. 

Caressed by Moonlight (Rulers of Darkness, #1)
Such a gorgeous cover!
Not really  a fan of historical books, i went into reading Caressed by Moonlight with some  
trepidation. The fact that its hero was  vampire swayed me. And am i glad it did sway me, because the debut novel from Amanda J Greene is a wonderful piece of work. Caressed by Moonlight, the first book in the Rulers of Darkness series centres around Victoria, who having lost both parents, penniless and with a young sister to care for is told by a crabby old aunt that if she wishes to continue being in her younger sisters life she must marry within the month. 

And so Victoria's search among the local gentleman begins. Enter Vampire Dorian stage left. He wants her right from the moment of seeing her, he's not without problems of his own, from witches and hunters trying to destroy his clan, making him travel to London to deter the hunters and there he meets the lovely and pure Victoria. She's put off from considering him as a husband contender hearing of his reputation as a ladies man but drawn to him, even she can't resist for long before she's smooching him in the library (scandalous!) 

I liked these characters, not your average paranormal tale, i thought for the time period they worked well together, the chemistry and sexual tension was palpable and fraught with tension at times that kept me reading page after page. 

I know what i like in a vampire, i want him to have an air of menace about him, to be mysterious and about as sexy as sexy gets, and when he goes fanged i want it to be described in a way that makes me want to <cue the "Wanna do bad things with you" song> and i have to say, Dorian Vlakhos has all that and more. OhmyGawd, i really really liked him! 

With this debut novel, the author ticks all the right boxes, So much so i look forward to the next book. 

Favourite Quotes:
"Dorian panted, dropping his head to her shoulder, he
whispered, his voice gruff, “Will you be mine for all eternity?"  

"He could not remember the last time he had wanted anything so badly. It was the hardest thing he had ever done, chaining his passion, when his body demanded that he take her.  The beast within him roared for her" 


Those quotes give me the Swoon!
I give Caressed by Moonlight by Amanda J Greene 4.5 sparkles out of 5! 
Smooch! 





5 Speak to Me:

Dehviousangel said...

I don't think i've tried a historical vamp story before, i really liked your review, and those quotes so good! Dorian sounds like a hero i'd want to read about :)

MamaKitty said...

I'm not a huge fan of historical romance, but having a vamp in it does ease the pain of HR... maybe I'll give it a shot! :)

Minx said...

Oh this sounds right up my street, I started a historical vamp before I left home and I read 2 more before that and REALLY liked them.

Great review Bearsy Boo... now I need to track this down.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Dehviousangel - Having a vamp in a historical sure was something different for me too!

@Mamakitty - Hope you enjoy hun if you try it. Dorian is yum!

@Minx - ohhh then you'd enjoy this one. im glad i gave it a chance and got past my non interest in historical romances =)

Sarah said...

I actually really like historical romances and of course you know that anything with a vamp in usually has me hooked so I'm definitely going to have to pick up a copy of this one! Fab review Bearsy :o)

I just wanted to let you know that I've tagged you into Gini Koch's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger contest. I'm not sure if you've started reading her Katherine "Kitty" Katt series yet but I'm pretty sure you'd love it if you haven't (I know you're not a big Sci-Fi fan but oh boy does the romance & smex well worth giving this one a try, Martini is HAWT but he's my book boyfriend so hands off lol) :o)

You can see all the contest details here if you're interested
http://www.feelingfictional.com/2011/10/harder-better-faster-stronger-blog.html

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.