Saturday, 24 July 2010

Infinity - Review

At fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity. Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead. But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu. As if starting high school isn't hard enough. . .now Nick has to hide his new friends from his mom, his chainsaw from the principal, and keep the zombies and the demon Simi from eating his brains, all without getting grounded or suspended. How in the world is he supposed to do that?

**Summary taken from Goodreads**  


If you don't know me you probably wont know i'm a die hard Dark-Hunter fanatic! (Acheron and Vane are my book boyfriends from back when) Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of the few Auto buy authors because basically she's made of pure sugar coated awesome. But when i heard Nick Gautier one of my favourite Dark Hunter characters was getting his own series but in the YA genre i cringed. Whilst i love reading YA, i wasn't sure if the cross over would work. 
If i was BFFs with SK i'd fall to my feets and beg forgiveness for doubting! I was as enthralled by Infinity Book One from The Chronicles of Nick Series, as i have been by all of the Dark Hunter novels.  And it's as a Dark Hunter fan that i write this review because i feel if you haven't read the adult series you will miss out on all the connections in this YA book. 
Fourteen year old Nick is just as sweet and charming as grown up Nick is/was in the Dark Hunter series. I found his sarcasm and wit to be hilarious and endearing. He's had a tough life, his mum who he loves very much and will do anything to protect and make happy, works as an exotic dancer to keep their heads above water, his dad is a demon (only the readers know this) and in jail for numerous murders and suddenly he meets a guy offering him a great job with no strings attached and is thrust into a world he never knew existed. 


It was unusual for a YA book to have such a strong presence from a parent, Cherise who i loved in the adult series seems to be a little too overbearing with Nick in Infinity. 


Some of the best points of the book is seeing the familiar characters...but younger. Tabitha is still as feisty as ever, love that goth girl! 
Kyrian...oh Kyrian! one of the earlier Dark Hunter books id forgotten i used to crush on him. But it was two of my favourite old characters i squealed over most. Simi and Acheron. Ashy oh Ashy my number one book boyfriend and his demon daughter Simi, i loved her dialogue, she has the best one liners. 


Sherrilyn Kenyon with Infinity gives you the best parts of the Dark Hunter series with the fantastic dialogue and introduces you to the young world of Nick Gautier before he became the man we know today. While i don't care for reading about zombies i found the story to move steadily, there was a few too many new characters for my liking but i know that's because i was hoping for more of the old ones..what can i say, i get my DH fix wherever i can but i do like Bubba, i hope he pops up in the next book.


There's a surprise midway through that i LOVED, i can see that will have major ripples along the whole series and i can't wait to see its conclusion. 
For anyone wanting to read this book i'd say to read the dark hunter series first, you'll enjoy it far better if you actually know Simi, Tabitha, Acheron, you'll enjoy it more if you know the adult Nicky to properly understand the enormity of the surprise half way. It can be read without the Dark Hunter knowledge i just think you're missing out. 
Book Two in The Chronicles of Nick is 'Invincible' and out in February '11. Can't wait!
A quote i loved: 

He was Nick Gautier. A kid born standing up and talking back. No one ever got the better of him and he'd be damned if they were going to start now                              A thoroughly enjoyable read i give Infinity by Sherrilyn Kenyon 4.5 Sparkles out of 5! 


For author/release info go HERE
Smooch!





15 Speak to Me:

Paranormal Haven said...

I'll be back to read this review in detail. I'm on page 303 right now and I really am loving it. I'll have it finished today.

Never had interest in YA before but as soon as it was about Nick and knew he would be my first :-)


Stephanie G
Paranormal Haven

Sparklybearsy said...

Hi Stephanie!

I wasn't going to read the book, it being YA put me off i didn't want the awesome character that is Nicky to be ruined, but i should have had more faith in SK, she did him justice, i cant wait for 'Invincible'

Looking forward to your review =)

Lisa said...

I'm looking forward to reading this book. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Hunter series as well :)

Pixiedust said...

Love your review! One of my favorite parts WAS that surprise....wasn't that awesome? It's a good twist. I share a lot of your feelings about the book. Though I was going to read it anyway from the beginning. It's Nick. :P That's how I saw it, I'd loved his character from the beginning.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lisa woot for a DH fan!! you'll love it =)

@Pixiedust thanks! it was a good twist, i wasnt sure it was what it actually was at first =P but i was very excited when it was what it was (can you tell im trying NOT to give any clues :P )
it was a surprising read, but my love for Nicky won out and im glad it did :)

thanks for your comments :)

Pixiedust said...

LOL! Omg yeah I can see you're trying not to give clues! You're doing good too! I had a feeling it was what it was....and was hoping for it....but I wasn't sure. Would you believe I squeaked and giggled when the secret was out though? Haha, I so couldn't help it.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Pixiedust It was surprising. i didnt think SK would do that, it's going to have a ripple effect into the DH series im sure.

Pixiedust said...

oooh yeah, I wonder how that's going to go now too.

Smash Attack! said...

I'm a big DH fan too and I really, really can't wait to start this series!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Smash attack hi hun! you're in for a great read with some good new characters =)

LilyofDarkness said...

I loved it too! I agree that if someone doesn't know the Hunter's from the other books they might not love this as much as we do. Young Tabby cracked me up. I would like to see more Bubba too. I have to wonder what kind of Butterfly effect this is going to have on the future......

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lily Omgosh yes, the ripple HAS to effect the DH world just for the small things that started in 'Infinity'

I was so glad tabby was her usual self just younger, i love her! and Simi! she seemed to have more freedom than she does in the DH's

LilyofDarkness said...

Simi did seem to have more free reign in this book. I can not wait for No Mercy and then on to Sundown....swoon!

jaymzangel said...

awwww Ash & Simi & Nicky *sniffles* it's been so long

Sparklybearsy said...

TOO long!

I want an Acheron book two. =P

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.