Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Eve of Samhain - Review


As a college senior and server at Hanaford Park's hottest nightclub, twenty-one year old Ryann Pierce's plan was simple: work hard, make lots of money, and avoid the ass-grabbers at all costs. What she never planned for was Quinn Donegan—the living, breathing advertisement for sinful behavior that waltzed into her life. With an angelic face, a hard body and a butt-load of charm, Quinn had a way with the ladies—a lot of ladies. Cursed with a deadly, addictive touch, his trail of indiscretion blazed across five hundred years. Tired and jaded, Ryann is a shocking revelation Quinn didn't see coming. 

Filled with desire, yet unable to touch one another, Ryann and Quinn embark on a daunting journey, battling frustrating physical limitations while exploring their new love. In a race against the clock, Ryann learns she must plead for Quinn's life before…the Eve of Samhain. Determined to end her lover's suffering, not even the danger dogging her every move can keep her from her mission.

**Summary taken from Goodreads** 
Disclaimer: Provided by Publisher for an honest review.  

Eve of Samhain is the debut novel from Lisa Sanchez and WOW!! Right from the first sentence of 'All men are assholes' until the very last word this book had me in the palm of his hand. I love Ryann, and that is SO rare for me to even like a heroine without wanting to do harsh physical damage to her face. But she is a wonderful character, she's sharp, witty with such sarcastic dialogue. She has a total shoe and bag addiction, right there that makes us BFFs, and she struggles just like any regular girl with weight and vanity and body image, Lisa Sanchez gives us a heroine that wont just lay down and whimper like a damsel in distress neither will she act all schwarzenegger and kick the beegeezus out of you, unlike some PNR who only go either way, Ms Sanchez made Ryann just right. 
 The first meeting with Quinn i loved. Not used to women not succumbing to his addictive charms, Ryann gives him some snark whilst inwardly lusting for him. 

Quinn, with his irish tongue and sex god features is someone you want to kick his ass and pounce attack at the same time. Who doesn't want to kiss the face off a bad boy huh? He's one tortured boy and that makes him act like a right stuck up pompous jerk at first, i supposed used to women flocking to him like a magnet he's gonna be a little jaded, but you just want to love him still.  Im a sucker for an Irish boy and Ms Sanchez portrayed him fantastically, her easy style and flow of words just lift clean from the page/screen and transport you into Quinn and Ryann's world. Despite the plaguing lurk of an unknown danger the book is littered with brilliant humour that WILL have you laughing out loud, along with the so sweet romance that drives the book it will have you reading until the very end loving these characters more and more.

Watching these two characters fall in love and struggle around not being able to touch at all that even i was dying for a first kiss, forget the sexy time i just wanted a lip lock. I wont spoilers, but i was so happy with how it all was wrapped up, i loved the mythology of the story, how can you not love a good celtic curse love story.
Along with Ryann and Quinn there's interesting side characters, Jessica and Martha Stewart (hehe!) one preppy blonde, the other a goth witch. i found them both interesting and i smell sequels for sure!  
Some funny quotes i loved and made me laugh out loud: 
From Ryann: 

-"This otherworldly creature was not only a walking advertisement  for sinful behaviour, but a mystical  weapon of lust  and desire sent to destroy me"  
-Orgasms! Get your orgasms here. Hot and juicy! Just how you like 'em! 
-"I'd be running like a crazed Forest Gump wannabe for the following week " 
From Quinn:
-"Im sorry to interupt your eye-fucking session, but you still need to put that shirt on, a ghra," he said with a particularly smug grin.
It takes some hella awesome writing to drive a love story when you can't include the basic human needs of touching, there's always something delicious in the forbidden, Quinn is the sexiest forbidden Alpha, and dayum when he gets possessive you want to call out to the gods, he's now firmly in my list of all time favourite book boyfriends....simply he had me at 'a ghra' How can you not fall head over feets in love with him when he's whispering to you in that deep rumbling Irish brogue of his 
“I will always come for you, a ghrá. You are my life, the very air I breathe, and I cannot be without you. Táim I ngrá leat. Is tú mo shonuachar. I love you. You’re my soul mate"
Sweet jeezus Pass the ice! I hope we see lots of him in the future a character that pantie screamingly lickable awesome can't be a one off! 
I don't often tell people to go and read something, usually let them make their own minds up, but this IS a book you're going to want to read. 

A wonderfully engaging && heart wrenching read 
i give Eve of Samhain by Lisa Sanchez 5 Sparkles out of 5!!! 
Top Sparkles! 

For Author Info/Releases go HERE 

Smooch!  


STAY TUNED!! Tomorrow on Sparklys read my             Interview with author Lisa Sanchez! 

15 Speak to Me:

Lisa said...

Yay! I can't tell you how happy I am you enjoyed Ryann and Quinn so much!

I'm totally laughing at the quotes you picked. I LOVE the Forrest Gump line. Any time my girls and I see someone jogging or running on the street it's always "Run, Forrest! Run!" Lol!

Bells said...

Great review! I loved the book as well Bear. Can't wait for book 2!

Mandi said...

Holy smokes..this one sounds HOT!!!

Missie said...

Oh! I've been wondering about this book! I love the cover, so I'm glad to hear that it is a great book! Love the quotes!

Jenny said...

Ohhhh 5 sparkles, I might have to read this one:):) Fantastic review!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lisa HAHA! i had to include the Forest quote it made me LOL. You gave Ryann some great quoteable lines =)

@Bells thanks hun!! i just wanted to gush about it i loved it so much, thanks to you for putting another great read on my radar MWAH!

@Mandi It is it is!! read it!! =)

@Missie You wont regret reading it hun, it's going down as one of my fave reads of the year =)

@Jenny Yes Jenny you must!! =D

Dawn Hullender said...

W00t, Lisa is a wonderful writer is she not? I'm glad you enjoyed Eve of Samhain!

Pamela "SpazP" said...

5 Sparkles?! It's definitely in my TBR pile and I am moving it up to the top, can't wait to read this one! Great review Sparkly ;)

Tanya said...

I have to read this one! I've heard great things about it-- especially Quinn!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Dawn SO wonderful, i love her style and eagerly await the next book!

@Pamela Thnx! Yes top marks! it's that good hun, you'll love it and fall hard for Quinn (remembers he's mine!! hahah!)

@Tanya Oh yes you'll love Quinn, with all the book boyfriends out there Lisa has done a great job to make him stand out, dayum he makes a girls mouth water LOl truths!

thanks for your comments =)

Lisa said...

Awww, I'm gettin' misty-eyed over here! I heart Quinn in a BIG way, so it's beyond awesome to hear people are loving on him the way I do :) He's a sexy beast!!

Twimom227 said...

I am reading this book RIGHT NOW (for review) so I skipped your review (don't like to influence my reading). I see you give it 5 sparkles. I can't wait to finish so I can come back and read the whole post!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lisa A sexy Irish delish-cious Fairie Beast I agree!! Nom Nom!! It's always awesome to get a new book boyfriend hehe!

@Twimom227 So looking forward to your review hun!

Leontine said...

Your review already got me a parched throat and those quotes *thud* so good. You sold me on this one Sparklybearsy!!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Leontine YAY!!! You're going to pounce attack Quinn, hun! These are such wonderful characters to read about. Look forward to hearing what you think! =)

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.