Wednesday, 14 July 2010

The Darkest Lie - Review

In this riveting new installment of New York Times bestselling author Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld series, Gideon, keeper of the Demon of Lies, fights to uncover the truth…. Forced to his knees in agony whenever he speaks the truth, Gideon can recognize any lie—until he captures Scarlet, a demon-possessed immortal who claims to be his long-lost wife. He doesn’t remember the beautiful female, much less wedding — or bedding — her. But he wants to . . . almost as much as he wants her. But Scarlet is keeper of Nightmares, too dangerous to roam free, and a future with her could mean ultimate ruin. Especially as Gideon’s enemies draw closer . . . and the truth threatens to destroy all he’s come to love . . . 

**Summary taken from Goodreads** 


**Spoiler-ISh Review** If you don't want to read know im rating it 3.5 out of 5. 


This is the story of the Lord Gideon, keeper of the demon Lies from Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series. I think i expected too much from The Darkest Lie, after falling madly crazy in love with Aeron's book The Darkest Passion and Gideon has always been fascinating to me just deciphering his dialogue has been a challenge but i liked him in all the previous Lords books, and here comes the big BUT i just wasn't feeling this book as much as i wanted to. *le sigh* for a huge Showalter fan that pains me to say. 


In TDP Scarlet dropped the bombshell that Gideon was her husband, and this book was him discovering why he couldn't remember marrying her or even being with her. I felt like Gideon was a 'beat down' man in this book, Scarlet was just horrendous to him, how submissive does a man have to be to a woman before he becomes a wimp? every bad thing scarlet did Gideon took and waited around for more. WTH! This wasn't the Lord i'd come to know and like. to me and this is just MY opinion i felt like Gideon at that point in the book, just wanted someone, anyone, a connection to this woman, even though he didn't remember her and was willing to put up with all her crap. 


I could not like anything about Scarlet, she had suffered a lot, been through terrible things at the hands of her family and yet i still couldn't feel empathy for her, i wanted to join her aunt and do much violence to her face. The romance aspect didn't feel real for me until the last third of the book, Poor Gideon was so worried over being a 2 second hit wonder in the sack that even i was chewing my nails cheering him on. 
Scarlet although my loathing became less the more the story unfolded she will never be a heroine i will be pleased to see again and that saddens me 'cause i really do heart Gideon, he deserves the best. 


Aspects of the book i enjoyed. Stryders side story, Amun's side story, his book is next and with how his little section of book was left off i am super excited for March '11. 


William! oh William, little hints each book are dropped about you and i become more obsessed! But please don't end up with Gilly! 


Although she was a bad bad demon in TDP i do still want to see Legion with her own book. 


The one LOL moment i had was when the demons became free, and Lies and Nightmares got.it.on! Oh My! i almost reached for a cigarette! 


When Gideon on the few occasions he was able to speak truth was just lovely, lovely for my brain too so i didn't have to translate. 


I'm kind of warming to Cronus, am i crazy? 


And lastly. Is it time for Paris' book yet? huh? HUh? 


Not as engaging as previous LOTu books but nonetheless i enjoyed Gideons story. 
I give The Darkest Lie by Gena Showalter 3.5 Sparkles out of 5! 


Amun's story The Darkest Secret is released March 2011. 
For Author/release info go HERE


Smooch! 









12 Speak to Me:

Stella Price said...

See, I overlooked scarlet and her non great heroine-ism like I did for Wraith in the Demonica books and like I did for Shade as well. LOVE me some Gideon (and Torrin OMG kill me baby!) so I loved this book...

and the naughty with Lies and Nightmares (my demon is a girl!?) Fucking brilliant!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Stella HAHA the demon being a girl was a hoot! no wonder it purred so much!

I LOVE Torin too! his book has to be amazing, he cant even touch anyone! I still heart Gideon tons, even if he is with a heroine i don't really like.
I'd be MUCH better for him. just sayin AHAHAH! =P

Stella Price said...

of course you would be... Nothing sexier then a guy with blue hair and tattoos... Well maybe Torin...OMG hes great.. LOL...

Sparklybearsy said...

Omg Gideons blue hair SEXAAAAY!!!

INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
INCiDeNT (Kayleigh) said...

*Growls at the mistake of a post above.* Sorry about that. Moving on...

Loved your review chicka! Honest and to the point. And like you, I devoured Amun's and Strider's scenes.

*Notices all the comments about Torin.* Just so you gals know he's been claimed, years back, from the very start by mwa. So hands off, else I'll go get my carving knife.... *Winks.*

I'm sure William appeals more to the senses anyway...

Jenny said...

YAY! Blogger is letting me comment now:)

You know I agree with you on this one, Scarlet drove me crazy. I did enjoy the other characters though, I'm ready for a little more William. I think he's going to be with Gilly though, she's just setting us up for that one. Definitely ready for Paris's book! And Torin. Poor, poor diseased Torin.

Sparklybearsy said...

@kayleigh Omgosh i think im going to love Amun, he hasn't much been on my radar until the last of TDL, its going to be interesting how he comes out of that.

Claimed Torin? *cracks knuckles, and limbers up* oh it is ON girl LOL!

@jenny William! yes! give us more. It looks that way doesnt it that GS is setting it up for Gilly, BUT would she let us into Williams HEA this early on? hmmm...hopefully its a red herring *crosses everything*

Poor Torin, i feel so bad for him, cant even get jiggy with anyone like the others can =(

thanks for the comments girl =D

Twimom227 said...

Nice review!! Your comments and feelings were pretty much on par with mine. I felt nothing for Scarlet. She was a wishy-washy wimp. The side-stories made this book stronger. Thanks for sharing!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Twimom227 thanks hun! that whole stabbing with the fork thing i knew then i wouldn't like her at all, i couldnt believe Gideon put up with her.

Marissa said...

Love your review, could not resist reading it even if I still have two parts to go in this series. I always hate it when I cannot connect to the heroine.

Sorry can't leave you any chocolate, any chocolate in my house is devoured by moi... can't resist it...

Sparklybearsy said...

@Marissa thanks hun! ugh yes it does suck when the heroine makes you want to punch tables lol!

Hope you like the book, look forward to hearing your thoughts, Gideon is yum! still looking forward to Paris' book more.

thanks for stopping by hun! and i sooo understand about the choco,it often commits suicide in my mouth =P

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.