Monday, 26 July 2010

Comfort Food - Review

Emily Vargas has been taken captive. As part of his conditioning methods, her captor refuses to speak to her, knowing how much she craves human contact. He's far too beautiful to be a monster. Combined with his lack of violence toward her, this has her walking a fine line at the edge of sanity. Told in the first person from Emily's perspective, Comfort Food explores what happens when all expectations of pleasure and pain are turned upside down, as whips become comfort and chicken soup becomes punishment  
**Summary taken from Goodreads**
Disclaimer: Provided by Author for an honest review. 


Twenty four hours after reading this book i'm still thinking about it, and still all i want to write is 'wow' Comfort  Food by Kitty Thomas i can honestly say is a book that messed with my mind and dragged me into the story taking me through every emotion and yet i just want to say wow. wow.  


This in no way an erotic romance story, there is no hearts or flowers, no moonlit walks, no whispered sweet nothings or even dirty talk. it is dark, disturbing, gritty, agony to read at times. But it is compelling and just as Emily was, i was thrust into the world of master and slave, the words coming alive from the page, i wanted to know more about Master and Emily, i was enthralled to read and read. 


Emily with her major in Psychology knows all about the stockholm syndrome but her fear and need for any kind of human contact drives her on each day, her inner dialogue is fantastic in portraying her emotions, her need her agony her ability to reason for her survival. 


There is very little dialogue from Emily, mostly it is her inner thoughts, all sex scenes told in the third party, and you get little to no dialogue point of view from Master yet everything he is the author conveys with a look to his eyes, a movement of his body, he doesn't show anger, he doesn't get violent but you feel the threat from him at every moment. he is disciplined in controlling Emily he knows she will do most anything for a moment of companionship, he knows when to punish when to reward, everything is a choice, she chooses wrong and Emily is back in what she calls the bad cell instead of the plush bedroom filled with all her favourite things. 
It was actually surprising that i could feel anything for Master in the form of compassion, but i did. Two thirds in events take a different slant and you begin to understand him, you see why this man who is beautiful and strong and by societies standards a male women would throw themselves at, did the things he did. There is no sob back-story from him, what he does when he captures Emily is truly calculated, dark and evil. But yet i didn't feel hate for this character, i was engaged with him as much as i was with Emily. 


This is a beautifully written story, the author paints vivid images that stays with you, from the chicken noodle soup, to Emily getting her period, to the erotic sex scenes, to the despair emptiness inside Emily. The relationship between Master and Emily pushed all boundaries for them both, i cheered Emily, i was anxious for her and felt happy as her strength and courage fought through. 
I went into this book thinking how could there be a happily ever after, and in the traditional sense no this book doesn't give you that, it showcases a relationship between Master and Slave, about pushing boundaries to the their limits to free inner desires. 
Some Quotes i loved: 

He'd studied me, stalked me, knew everything about me. Human contact, speech,words, music. I needed stimulation. And he wasn't giving any of it to me. I was pretty sure he was trying to break me, and considering my lack of escape options, I was pretty sure he was going to succeed.  

It was a mad and unyielding obsession, and it was mutual. And the flames from it would likely kill one of us some day. Probably me. I couldn't bring myself to care. I'd rather have this intensity with him than a hundred years of mediocrity with another. 

His touch was like heroin in my veins, and I was a grateful addict. 

I know I need him. And I hope he needs me. What we have is fucked up and twisted, but it serves a need. I know I've always been wired differently. He only brought to the surface what was already there 



I can't convey loudly enough just how brilliant this book is, it's not for the faint hearted, it's not for someone who likes a little bondage play in their stories, what you do get is an exceptionally written take of a master conditioning his slave and ultimately giving her what she never knew she wanted. It's a dark erotica and truly Kitty Thomas pushes at your thoughts and emotions with every turn of the page. I rarely give any book full marks, unless they touch me in a way that stays with me long after i've put the book down, if the characters and actions are still with me the following day then top marks has to be given. 


A compelling read that will stay with me forever, i give Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas 5 Sparkles out of 5!


For author info go HERE


Smooch! 





37 Speak to Me:

Jenny said...

Wow, that's not what I would have guessed the book was about based on the title. Really nice review, I love the ones that stay with me after I've closed the book:)

Sparklybearsy said...

@Jenny yes the title is confusing but very understandable once you read it. It's not something i usually read but im happy i did, it's a great author who can make a book come alive with next to no dialogue and have it stay with you.

thanks for stopping by hun!

Minx said...

Wow Claire, what a review, sounds like a book to change a perspective and really make you think. I can imagine it was uncomfortable reading at times. But 5/5 says everything, perhaps I should look into it.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Minxy Julesy, i was left speechless last night when i was finished reading, i really think you'd like this one too. Yeps it was uncomfortable at times, it's not a vanilla read whatsoever but its much thought provoking and i actually liked the characters, surprising!

Leontine said...

Spaklybearsy, your review wow-ed me :) I agree with everything you said and I don't think I will forget Emily or Master soon. For me it's definitely a top 20 read for 2010!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Leontine Same! and with top marks it has to be one of the books i will pimp out, i wont be forgetting Emily and Master any time soon, and now i must stalk down any other books or future books from Kitty Thomas lol!

LilyofDarkness said...

This is the second really good review I have read of this book, I am going to pick it up.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lily woot! looking forward to hearing what you think of it hun :)

Lillie (AliseOnLife) said...

I saw your tweets about this yesterday, bought the e-book, and read it in one sitting.

I don't even think I could review it, to be honest. It is wow, like you said. But, I don't think I could put into words all of the emotions I experienced while reading. Or even give the writing justice.

It's definitely not for everybody, but I think it will get inside anyone's head who reads it.

Cecile said...

I read this book a while back and it blew it me out the water. This is an amazing book. And so rightly deserving of all the praise it gets. Your review like Leontine said, just wow-ed me. Even my own review and Leontine's.... they are just the tip of the ice berg for this story. It will make you feel everything!! Awesome job hon!!!

Hope all is well!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Lillie I was the same, i had to go to bed, but i couldn't leave it unfinished. It's definitely thought provoking.

Im so glad you read it too hun! and i honestly sat for an hour before i could even write my review lol!

i was going to write "wow. it's brilliant. buy it!"

Sparklybearsy said...

@cecile thanks hun! (and darn you're psychic or something, i was just off to stalk your blog!) Im so glad you loved the book too, i hope all the blogverse embraces its brilliance :)

Minx said...

Perhaps I will Claire, is it e or paper book?

Sparklybearsy said...

It's ebook, i dont think the paper book is out yet.

Cecile said...

I think paper comes out in October... I think.. do not hold me to that...

Sparklybearsy said...

I am TOTALLY holding you to it cecile...and you'll be punished if its wrong! ;) hahaha!

Cecile said...

***gulp***

**knees shakes a bit**

Sparklybearsy said...

LMAO!! you're too funny!

Cecile said...

**looks around...**

~~ watches at the hussy comes out ~~ In a deep, dark sulty voice...

How did you know I like to be tied up?

~~Cecile shakes her head...~~

What happen....??

Sparklybearsy said...

ROFL!! uMMM....maybe 'cause you come with your own rope, leather straps and cuffs? it was just a lil hint! =D

Cecile said...

Oh honey, I so love playing with ya!!

Yeah... I guess that is a tattale sign when I come with my own accessories... Kinda like a Barbie!! LMBO!!!! `Cept a little kinker!

***Evil laughter***

Sparklybearsy said...

HAHA! now that would be a barbie worth playing with....and her accessory was a dungeon, whips chains paddles wax...oh yeahh!!

Poor ken being her sub!

Cecile said...

OH we so need to work on that!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

Sparklybearsy said...

*Barbie seeing Ken strapped naked to the table began to let the hot wax drip down onto his crotch....not to punish him as he thought but to fashion him a cock FINALLY*

LOL! EVOL mistress barbie would be ruthless, and who could,blame her giving him a penis, he's been without for so long!

Cecile said...

I am dying!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!! **bows down**

And you are so right, poor man.
And do not forget to fondle and cuddle with the wax as it begins to cool off to form him some balls (of his own of course).

Sparklybearsy said...

LOL!! good thinking!

damn, Ken is gonna be un-stoppable once he has his balls! and all thanks to Barbie's Kinky Dungeon.

Cecile said...

You do know that the two of us are a very dangerous combination!!! LMBO!!!!!

Barbie's Kinky Dungeon... Now accepting memberships??

Humm...**Cecile looks at Ken with his new member and two friends and gives a low whistle**

Sparklybearsy said...

LMao! it doesnt take much, all we need is a thread to run with and smutty it up ;)

Pssst...you know, those friends of Kens..i approve of the nipple rings! RAWR!

note to self: check to see if Ken dolls DO have nipples, if not get Kinky barbie on it asap!

Cecile said...

OH snap... true dat hon...

Going to store this afternoon~ what it is kid in the neighborhood's bday... It will give me a chance to *cough* "check out" Ken's friends.. and Ken to see about the nipple thing...

And of course we allow piercing... They are so yummy delicious ~ just the right amount of pain vs pleasure...

***mmmaaawwwhhhaaaawwwwww, cecile walks away rubbing her hands togehter muttering something about this is going to be wicked***

Sparklybearsy said...

hehehehe yes! and report back on the situation of kens nips! he must have them, how else is barbie gonna hook him to the wall!

Byes hun!!!! *huggles* make it an awesome wicked!

Larissa {Larissa's Bookish Life} said...

oh wow! that looks amazing! I so need to get that book! Great review Claire! =)))

Kitty Thomas said...

Thanks for the lovely review! I'm so glad you liked it! I thought it was just luck that my Amazon rankings were getting better again, but it was your review! So thanks!

I continue to be blown away by the reception this book has received. I opened a vein for it and people recognize that, which is really thrilling!

Yes, the paper book will be available in October. It will be a hardcover, priced at $17.95 retail (which isn't bad for hardcover). A few months after that, a trade paperback will be available as well, which I *think* will be retailing at around $9.95 (but don't hold me to that one because I don't have that information right in front of me at the moment.)

Sparklybearsy said...

@Larissa yes hun you must try it! like my review said its not for the faint hearted but so worth it, ive abandoned reading tonight cause i cant think of another book yet =P

@Kitty Oh my gosh! THANK YOU! for the wonderful gripping read, you blew my mind! thank you so much for stopping by, it made my day! =)

LilyofDarkness said...

FYI I checked out the daughters Ken dolls and no nipples.

Also if Ken gets balls maybe Barbie will let him drive the car....maybe she will just threaten to take them away again. You know she could put em in her purse.

Also Barbie is such a undercover kink - look at those shoes. Seriously.

Cecile said...

Lily, I so love the way you think...

jaymzangel said...

AMAZING review, bt! have just gotten this one from smashwords & about ready to dive right into it. I have no doubt I will be as blown away as you were.

LMFAO @ you making Ken a wax cock, it's about f'ing time he had one. but Barbie'll just have his balls in her hand if you gave him any.

Sparklybearsy said...

THANKS Jay! your mind will be blown away with its awesomeness!!!

MASTER!!!!!!!!!!!! *coughwhosaidthatcough*

ps. Ken needs it! HAHAHHA!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.