Friday, 4 June 2010

Stray - Review

There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . . And I'm one of themI look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds. Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked. I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .   
**Summary taken from Goodreads*   

Buying 5 books in a series by an author you've never read before is a risk to any reader. if the book is pants you're stuck with 5 books you wont ever read again and you've wasted money. But after hearing so much good things about the Shifter series that is what i did. And i'm glad i did.  Stray by Rachel Vincent is told in the first person by Faythe. She's a werecat trying to live the normal American lifestyle, go to school, have friends who don't shed fur and fit into society. Her pride however has other plans for her. Mainly for her to come home, train and one day take over as Pride leader. As much as her family try to make her do one thing, she rebels and does the opposite. It was that mentality that at times Faythe irked me. I feel it will be an on going irksome/liking her relationship.
Much to Faythe's chagrin,  she has to go home when female werecats go missing, and then turn up dead. And this is where i began to really like this book, i adore character interactions, lots of dialogue, a steady pace with action, steam and angst tossed in for good measure. I got all that and more.

yes Faythe will irritate me throughout this serious, she did on numerous occasions, she reminded me of the girl you see in movies, they aren't supposed to go into the dark alleyway/woods/basement but she always does..and regrets it afterwards. 

Stand out characters for me were Faythe, Marc (SWOON) and Jace (love that name) Although Faythe is in love with Marc but heavily denying it having been in a relationship with him years ago and ended it, and then there is definite chemistry with her and Jace too, the frissons made my fingers tingle! Do i smell threesome/and or love triangle? I think so! It makes me want to get to book two immediately if not sooner.  There was alot of arguments between Marc and Faythe, Marc seems much more mature and together in knowing what his future entails, and Faythe doing her teenage tantrums made me wonder what he saw in her.  Other characters, such as Faythe's brothers and her school boyfriend all seemed to morph into one, hopefully in future books they'll stand out more.


I loved the shifter aspect, Vincent described it vividly so i had no doubts to what my mind saw, i loved them in cat form, there was no telepathy most shifters books have and i found i liked that aspect better, they had to communicate as animals do with growls, nudges, nips and even full out fighting. When she was a were cat is when i liked Faythe best.
Along with the descriptive shifting, Vincent gave us heavy scenes when the bad guys kidnapped female werecats, thankfully we only see the aftermath but even that was enough to cringe in parts. It added to the drama of the entire storyline.
What i did find though is the book was extremely long, i felt it had ended a hundred or more pages before it actually did. Saying that i am looking forward to the second book in the series Rogue, seeing Faythe hopefully mature and stop throwing tantrums, have empathy for others and to see how the burgeoning relationship with Marc/and possibly Jace too continues.


I give Stray by Rachel Vincent 3.5 Sparkles. A purrr-ific read!


I read the series is almost at an end with the upcoming book Alpha, for author info/book releases go HERE


Smooch!


6 Speak to Me:

Smash Attack! said...

YAY! Another person who loves the name Jace! It is one smexy name! And, he is my favorite in the series. I adore the guy. Go Team Jace!

You will LOVE this series. Great action, suspense, betrayal, love triangles, death, major heartache, loyalty, devotion, love, etc. Rachel did some really good research for this series, so her cat knowledge makes the books even better. It is one of my ultimate favs!

Redd said...

Heh...purrfic, huh? Please don't mention threesomes! That'll intrigue me to no end! *sighs* I've managed to avoid this series for sooooo long and now here you go. *shrugs* what's a girl to do? XD

I kinda like her Screamers series. You know with the banshees. *grins* Now that's an interesting take.

Have a wonderful weekend!! =)

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

This sounds like a great series to start!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Smash Attack Jace Jace yummy Jace!! im hoping to see more of him in the next book

@Redd LOL! you should read Maya Banks if you like Moresomes, DAYUM! s'all im saying ;)

Shifters is a great serious so far..and thanks for the pimpage for the Screamers series..EVOL book Pimp, i cant resist rec's =P

@Buckeye girl reads It's good so far, cant wait to get to book 2, i love shifter stories =)

thanks all for your comments =)

Glory said...

Oooh,you'd see more of Jace! LOL

Anyway, I'm team Marc although jace is very cute (i love blue eyes *grin)
I look foward to Alpha!:)

Sparklybearsy said...

@Glory Im with you hun i love blue eyes too! nom! and so far im team Marc i love alpha men =) (but im fickle so im open to being team jace too LOL!)

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.