Thursday, 29 April 2010

A Rush of Wings - Review




HIS NAME IS DANTE.
Dark. Talented. Beautiful. Star of the rock band Inferno. Rumored owner of the hot New Orleans nightspot Club Hell. Born of the Blood, then broken by an evil beyond imagination.
HIS PAST IS A MYSTERY.
F.B.I. Special Agent Heather Wallace has been tracking a sadistic serial murderer known as the Cross Country Killer, and the trail has led her to New Orleans, Club Hell, and Dante. But the dangerously attractive musician not only resists her investigation, he claims to be "nightkind": in other words, a vampire. Digging into his past for answers reveals little. A juvenile record a mile long. No social security number. No known birth date. In and out of foster homes for most of his life before being taken in by a man named Lucien DeNoir, who appears to guard mysteries of his own.
HIS FUTURE IS CHAOS.
What Heather does know about Dante is that something links him to the killer — and she's pretty sure that link makes him the CCK's next target. Heather must unravel the truth about this sensual, complicated, vulnerable young man — who, she begins to believe, may indeed be a vampire — in order to finally bring a killer to justice. But Dante's past holds a shocking, dangerous secret, and once it is revealed not even Heather will be able to protect him from his destiny.... 
***Synopsis taken from Author website***

I wish i could say i loved A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix. I bought the book, so i obviously wanted to. I just didn't. One of my pet peeves with books is too many characters, too much info thrown in without much explanation as to why, and too many sub-plots going on along with the main story. And A Rush of Wings sadly had all those. If i'm left thinking "now what was his/her name again" and have to flip back 40 pages to when they were mentioned that is a giant fail in my eyes. 
Maybe if i'd stuck with the book past page 200 all those annoying sub plots and excessive characters would have come together in an aha moment but i just couldn't push my way through all the annoyance. 

I usually love fierce tough heroines who aren't afraid to bust balls to do the right thing and catch the bad guy, i just didn't feel it from Heather, there was no realism or consistency to her or most of the characters. I think the books saving grace would have been Dante, not your typical vampire, he did intrigue me since he was so different, he was borderline emo mixed with a cocktail of anger and angst,but i felt no spark between him and Heather, again maybe if i'd stuck with the book it would have been there eventually, but im an old fashioned gal ( in some respects :P ) and i want my hero and heroine to have that electricity sizzle the moment they meet or at least some kind of frisson, Murder or not, killer on the rampage there is always time to fit in a frisson!  I can't even rate if the love scene's are worth the read since there wasn't even a kiss by the time i tossed in the towel. 

I might go back to it one day and give it a second chance with fresh eyes, i hate to give up on a book. And i hate to give up on a vampire book. I hope i don't have to revoke my fangs! =P 

Perhaps this book is to someone else's taste, Murder, intrigue, vampires, New Orleans.... it just wasn't to mine.  

I give A Rush of Wings by Adrian Phoenix a DNF - Did not Finish


5 Speak to Me:

Kindlelicious said...

I wasn't crazy about A Rush of Wings either. All of the French really got on my nerves.

Cecile said...

One of the things that makes me want to buy it is the location (New Orleans). I am sorry that you did not like it. But I do like that you gave us your honest opinion!!! For what it is worth, I liked your review. I hope all is well honey!

Sparklybearsy said...

@Kindlelicious Its sad when a book just doesnt grab you. i hate quitting :P

@Cecile thanks hun! i appreciate that, ive dragged my feet on writing my first DNF review, i really didnt want to, i felt bad :P no reader ever wants to dislike a book so i just gave my honest feelings on it, but its just my feelings, i know the book has and will appeal to others =)
I love reading about NO too, its one thing i love about the dark hunter books :) hope you're good hun.

thanks for stopping by, girls =)

Marianna said...

I didn't finish it either. I was so excited, and I was telling my sisters I was gonna love it...but I didn't.

Sparklybearsy said...

I just hate when that happens, id wanted to read it for a while too =(

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.