Thursday, 15 April 2010

House of Night Series - Review

HOUSE OF NIGHT is a thrilling, New York Times bestselling book series that follows 16-year-old Zoey Redbird as she is “Marked” by a vampyre tracker and begins to undergo the “Change” into an actual vampyre. She has to leave her family in Broken Arrow, OK, and move into the House of Night, a boarding school for other fledgling vampyres like her.
It’s tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. Although Zoey has awesome new powers, it’s hard to fit in when everyone knows you’re “special.” As Zoey tries to make new friends and maybe find a hot boyfriend (or two), she comes up against all kinds of evil, from the perfect-looking, super-popular girl with not-so-faultless plans, to the mysterious deaths happening at the House of Night and all over Tulsa. Things at the House of Night are not always what they seem. Can Zoey find the courage deep within herself to find the truth and embrace her destiny?





My review:


There isn't many YA books that get me excited enough to want the entire series like NOW, but the House Of Night series by PC and Kristen Cast is such Series. 
Thinking i was just going to read the first one as a palate cleanser before moving onto another erotic romance or a MM romance i was so surprised that it hooked me in right from the first page. A different aspect to the usual vampire books, there is no biting to make a vamp, you're chosen and it's not until a Vampyre tracker shows up that you know you're marked 
Night has chosen thee; thy death will be thy birth. Night calls to thee; hearken to Her sweet voice. Your destiny awaits you at the House of Night! 
One day Zoey was an ordinary girl with friends, a dysfunctional family and a sort of jock boyfriend, the next she was Marked as a vampire and took to the House of Night school for Fledglings to learn the ways and magic of vamps and to await to see if she went through the change completely. Besides not being the traditional vampire stories this series also has a blend of pagan rituals and goddesses woven through it that made it a joy to read from the normal "bite bite grrr i'm evil" vampire stories we're all used to.
I liked Zoey and her friends right away, each with their own stand out personalities and quirks, i even liked the bad girl, there's twists and turns to the first three books, things you wont expect and will keep you turning those pages until you're done.   


Goddesses, High Priestesses, Vampyres in training, gay friends, twin friends, bitches, lovely grandma's, dysfunctional families, sexy teachers, magic, cats, (not magic cats. but that'd be so freakin' awesome! HAHA!) goodies, baddies, baddies who you thought were goodies, poetry, blood impriting, weird vampyre tattoos, ghosts, ghouls, magic rituals, snowy days, bloodlust, murder n gore, and snowglobes!  


If you like any or all of the above then you'll love HON series because it's just made of Awesome! Nicely paced and character based. Told in the first person so we only ever get Zoey's side of the tale and for someone who isn't a huge fan of first person narration i really wasn't bothered about it at all, i enjoyed hearing Zoey's thoughts, she was a funny girl at times,And she loves Brown Pop!! as a rabid fan of all things Pepsi i think her and i could be BFFs! 


Although these are YA books, they do touch on a more adult theme, mainly Zoey and her three...yes THREE boyfriends, lucky girl!  im grabbing the felt tip pens and drawing my mark across my face if it gets me three boyfriends!  There was an scene with Zoey's 17th birthday that made me laugh out loud, 'cause i had the same thought when i was a teenager - 


“I’ve never known anyone before who was as not excited as you about their birthday,” Damien said.
I dropped the squirming Nala and shrugged, trying for a nonchalant smile. “I’m just practicing for when I’m old as dirt—like thirty—and I need to lie about my age.”

Waiting for my next three HON books (Book Depo i love that you send me my crack SO fast!) so i will be eagerly diving back into the vampyre academy world very soon. These really were enjoyable reads, easy flow of writing and nothing that makes you want to put the book down or skip entire sections, my first reads by Cast, it won't be my last. 

I give the first three House of Night by PC and Kristen Cast series books, 4 out of 5 sparkles! 

To read snippets of each book and to find out release news go HERE  

Smooch!








10 Speak to Me:

Minx said...

I read the first one of these when I was in the library with some of my classes and I really enjoyed it. Normally I am not big into YA, but Marked was, as you said, bit bit less teeny and a bit more grown up.

I also liked Tithe by Holly Black, which I read in the library, and Shiver. Currently Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett is my library reader!

The fact that all those books kept my attention when I could only read a page or two at a time before being asked a question, or having to move someone says a lot. I heartily recomment it too...and I must try the others!

Thanks- great review.

*big minxy huggles*

Sparklybearsy said...

I havent read Holly Black yet, but will check her out. I adore Shiver too, i think this series is tied for my favourites, you must read the others Julesy...if only to see the three boyfriends!!!

*smoochens* ta for commenting lovey!! ;)

Glory said...

I dunno if i like or no this series. Z is a bit stupid quite as Harry potter, lol. Aphrodite is my favorite character. Then, the books r slow for first two books. But, i dunno, i dont succeed to close the book. Lol.

im sorry, my english is horrible. :( i hope you understand everything....

Sparklybearsy said...

your english is good hun :)

Ive never liked Harry Potter, so i cant compare them, at times Zoey did make the wrong decision, but i put that down to her being young still. I love Aphrodite, shes so snarky!

Sarah said...

Great review :o) I really like the H of N series & am sure you'll like the rest of the series! I read them all last year but am planning on reading them again when I get time (so many books it will probably be a while LOL). I quite enjoy reading some YA books to make a change from the smut - but I've got to get my smut fix too lol

Sparklybearsy said...

HAHA im right there with you hun, we need the smut too, its just a ncie change to read something gentler, but nonetheless enjoyable, i was most suprised by this series, i only bought the first three cus i was sure i wouldnt get hooked, :P

and as i say, so many books, too little time! im hoping for a clone :D

thanks for the comment!

jaymzangel said...

my friend's daughter loved this series so much that she pimped them to her mom & she loved them too =) I think the covers are gorgeous

Sparklybearsy said...

They're def going on my "surprise reads" of the year and on my pimpage list, for everyone should read them..that means you too bt! :D

*smoochen*

Anna ♥ said...

I've been meaning to read this series and now I definitely have to bump it up my TBR pile! Wonderful review~ It sounds like a fun read. :D

Sparklybearsy said...

thanks Anna! they are a great fun read, im just reading the 4th book now and loving it =)

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.