Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Start me Up & First drop of Crimson - Double Review

Lori had always planned to get out of tiny Tumble Creek, Colorado, but when her late dad left her his beloved auto body shop, she'd stayed. Now, according to her crazy best friend, Molly, what Lori needs is some excitement, in the form of hot, no-strings-attached sex…and lots of it.

Quinn Jennings has buildings on the brain—not love and romance. A serious architect, he's delighted to discover that Lori is willing to skip dating protocols and head straight for the sheets. And aided by the steamy books on Lori's bedside table, he's busy indulging both of their wildest fantasies. But when life in Tumble Creek takes a dangerous turn for Lori, Quinn's protective instincts kick in.

Suddenly he cares. More than either of them ever expected…. 


I found Lori & Quinn to be a cute couple, there's nothing i don't like about a sexy geek and Quinn is all sexy Geek! and a story revolving around a no strings attached affair is win win for me. The story takes a turn away from the sexiness when Lori is being pressured by someone to sell her late father's land, Although i guessed who it was it was still written well and i liked that different edge to the book to mirror alongside Lori and Quinn falling for each other.
Quinn reads the erotica books Lori has been reading to get pointers on what she would like, and he really delivers, the smexy time is scorching, Quinn may be a geek who is easily consumed in work but when the boy is turned on and focused he is turned ON. Rawr! Although this book follows Molly's story in Talk me Down it still stands as a read alone book. Molly was a cute addition to Start me Up she's the kind of friend i like to encourage her friends to get a lil some some.
Well written, really good dialogue and a sexy geek guy playing the dominant. Definitely a must read.

I give Start me Up by Victoria Dahl 3.5 sparkles out of 5. 

                  *****************************************************






The night is not safe for mortals. Denise MacGregor knows all too well what lurks in the shadows—her best friend is half-vampire Cat Crawfield—and she has already lost more than the average human could bear. But her family's past is wrapped in secrets and shrouded in darkness—and a demon shapeshifter has marked Denise as prey. Now her survival depends on an immortal who lusts for a taste of her.


He is Spade, a powerful, mysterious vampire who has walked the earth for centuries and is now duty-bound to protect this endangered, alluring human—even if it means destroying his own kind. Denise may arouse his deepest hungers, but Spade knows he must fight his urge to have her as they face the nightmare together . . .
Because once the first crimson drop falls, they will both be lost.




Going into this book i was beyond excited, as a new fan of the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost i couldn't wait to get my hands on Spade's book, he really stood out for me in the Bones and Cat saga.
Quick story synopsis: Man owes Demon his soul - Man takes off with soul leaving Demon all Grrr - Denise's family is getting offed one by one mysteriously - Demon brands Denise with tats slowly turning her into a demon if she doesnt find
 Man (distant relative) - Denise hates all things Paranormal & is all snooty nosed when the Vampire Spade offers to help her find Man...

Sooo...as a first book in the spin off to the Huntress books i really liked it. The story was faced paced but not unbelievable, it brought back beloved characters Bones and Cat, along with Ian and Mencheres, just seeing Bones again made me a lil swoony, i do so love that vampire. Ian i find his dry wit to be a joy to read i hope he has a book one day oh...and he has piercings 0_o 'Nuff said!

Spade was and is a character i loved reading about and would continue enjoy reading him, his feelings for Denise felt real to me his dedication to helping her was really endearing, i just wished i had felt that connection to Denise. It would be unfair to say i hated her because i didn't, she just didnt make me feel anything, and at times she had me saying UGH out loud at her whiny indecisive attitude. When Spade and Denise did finally get jiggy that was the only time i felt the two characters jelled well. Maybe i was expecting too much, after you've read Cat & Bones together that deep intense connection that they come alive from the page i just didn't feel it for Denise and never did throughout the Huntress books or FDOC which dampened my enjoyment on what was a terrific story with characters i'd become to love.

For Spade alone i would read this book, for the additional characters i would read this book, for kick ass demons i would read this book, for a fast paced exciting storyline i would read this book and for the scorching sexy time i would read this book. The writing style is easy and fluid and i just adore picking up a book by Jeaniene Frost. I eagerly await
Mencheres story in Eternal Kiss of Darkness. Released 27th July.

I give First drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost 3.5 sparkles out of 5. 

Smooch!

8 Speak to Me:

Smokinhotbooks said...

Okay side note...I'm a dork and didn't know your bloggy had music. I nearly had heart failure due to my volume being too loud,lol.

I'm with you I liked FDOC but I didn't heart it much as the Night Huntress, but I have a author crush on Frost and will read anything she writes.

P.S. Now I'm dancing

Sparklybearsy said...

Oops, sorry sweetie i didnt mean to startle you *grovels at feets holding up many manlove books*

Oh yes me too, i love Frost's style of writing, and ive added Spade to book boyfriend status, he is in the harem ^_^

Woot, dance baby, dance!! ( i change song weekly :P )

Immortal Hellion said...

I agree about Denise- the going back and forth- does he like me as much as I like him, do I belong in this world, can I be with someone like him??? That got a little old but overall I really liked the story- I have added Spade to my harem also- he's just yummy. LOL- Ian being pierced- now that cracks me up.

Sparklybearsy said...

Yeah, she was too wishy washy whiny, get over it girl and get on the hot vampire already! LOL!

Girl those piercings of Ians...0_o i want his book! *teehee*

thanks for commenting! =)

Mandi said...

I wasn't a Denise fan either...

Can't wait to read SMU!

jaymzangel said...

mmmm Quinn & Lori up against the wall outside that restaurant, RAWR!! that was SO hot.

I felt the same way about Denise, I adore Spade but felt Denise needed a good bitch slapping to get her head on straight. I love Ian, he's so snarky & those piercings o_O *drool!* I must have more. I hope both he & Vlad have their own books.

*MWAH*

Madison Scott said...

I just recently found Jeaniene Frost's books and DAYUM was I missing out. LOVE Bones. Gah, I love him. LOL. Loved Spade too. One of my favorite reads of the year so far.

Sparklybearsy said...

@Madison OHHHHH welcome to the Bones club, isnt he just RAWR!! seriously love him!

Spade is great in his book, he's no Bones but he's a perfect second! followed by Ian...Piercings...RAWR!!

thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.