Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Fantasy in Death - Review


"They were best friends, driven by one shared vision - to rule the world of virtual reality games. Cill, hard-edged and beautiful, Var and Benny, brains and business acumen, and Bart, the genius behind the idea. Their newest invention, developed to transport the player into a fantastical virtual world, is just about to be launched. Then, suddenly, Bart is found brutally killed, defeated by their own game. Their close-knit group is torn apart. Who could have engineered a virtual death with such devastating consequences? Even Eve Dallas, New York City's most cunning investigator, is hard-pressed for an answer. But as she digs deeper, peeling back layers of secrets, revenge and misplaced allegiances, she realises with growing dread the depth of the killer's master plan. And she knows his game is far from over..."


To say im a HUGE 'In Death' series fan is an understatement. I heart these books so much, they're like old friends you love to visit with. This is the series i like to pimp out whenever i can, just because it's not labelled as "Romantic" but Crime Thriller so many people will avoid it, even though it's written by the fantastic Nora Roberts using her pseudonym J D Robb. It IS based always around a murder, Eve is a murder cop, but it's so much more than that. The characters each book you know a little more about them, i love how the relationships build, friendships forged, families made. And i was surprised to see i actually liked the crime part of the book too, Eve picking away at each clue to uncover the murderer i was engaged with.

Right from book one i was hooked and this book 37 i was still sooo eager to get my hands on it. My heart sank when i saw the storyline was about gamers...ugh..bane of my life! My guy friends are intense gamers, whenever im around them they're battling some demon or fighting some war, so i wasn't looking forward to seeing it in the pages of my fave series! But since the whole books are based in the year 2060 the games aren't like our ordinary Xbox's. it's all virtual and i was as fascinated and baffled as Eve was to figure out how two people died alone while playing on a Virtual game they'd invented. One had his head cut right off! To use a phrase from a character in the book called McNab, that murder scene was "Frosty" (apparently in the year 2060 that means good, Great, awesome. Go figure! )

For anyone who loves In Death too this is a must read. i found it to be a real page turner. And for the In Death virgins go get Naked In Death right away! you must! you'll love them!

My awesome "normal" Book Boyfriend Roarke did not disappoint me either. I could have done with 200 more pages of just him in many smutty naughty durty scenes How he loves Eve just melts me into a puddle of goop. It's so amazing that in these books of death, murder, blood and gore you get this sweet intense love affair that just warms a girls heart - Yes i know thats waxing lyrically, but its TRUE! I love when Eve and Roarke have blazing arguments too. 'Cus you know soon after they're gonna get to sexen. And yes, i will admit its no smut...but it is sweet and loving, and while the book isn't based on sex, it is full of family dynamics and really character based. I love those type of stories, and no one writes familes/friends better than Nora Roberts.

One point i wanna make (besides all the rambling gushing so far!) Is do the publishers actually read the books? My thoughts is a big fat NO since the cover resembles NOTHING about "In Death" Nor the story. Not once is Eve on a Bridge or being chased..so WTF! and She doesnt have long hair! While i don't base my book buyage on Cover alone i do think IT IS important to have accuracy. I vote for a nekkid pic of Roake on there next time.

I wonder who i gotta see about that? hmm..

I give Fantasy in Death 4 sparkles out of 5 (it would have been 5 out of 5 had there been MORE Roarke! )

Smooch!

SparklyBearsy

PS. i cant beeeelieve i gotta wait until November for the next one. Doesn't JD ROBB know i need a faster fix than November?!?! *Le Sigh* And so the wait begins!

PPS. Who IS the fecking candy thief stealing chocolate from Eve's office each book?!?! My money is on Mcnab or Peabody. I hope we get to find out soon! lol

12 Speak to Me:

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

Funny, did I just read book 37?!? You're kidding, right? OMG that's so not a number I want to think about when I start a new series :)
LOL, you and your Roarke! I wouldn't mind a nekkid pic of him on the next cover - you've got my vote ;)
Hang in there until November, hon! :)

Sparklybearsy said...

You put "Roarke and i" in a sentence together, you're now my new best friend! LOL!

Lol yesh book 37...but but...they're sooo worth it, SO WORTH IT! and you'll never have to wait for a new release for forever! unlike me waiting until Nov *sob*

Thanks for stopping by hun!

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

LOL! Happy to be :)
You could see that as an advantage yes! But still 37! that's an awful lot :D

Kris said...

I hate these stupid covers. *pout* Eve doesn't have long hair!!!!!!! Grrrr. I feel another 'Dear Publisher' letter coming on.

PS - I want this book.

PPS - NOW!!!

Smokinhotbooks said...

I just read book 1 and book 2. Love Roarke and I want to have his book babies.

Sparklybearsy said...

@ ERR - just start with book 1 and 2, forget the bulk of them...you wont regret it!! Roarke will haz you under his spell too. Promise!!

@LOL Kris! I know right...eejit publishers, seriously the need to read a book! Eve Hacks at her hair, certainly doesnt have it long n flowy.

PS. YAY!

PPS. WOOTIES!!

@Smokinhotbooks Ohhh i know right! And summerset will be the nanny so you can drag Roarke off into the pool or Virtual holo room for smexens! *happy sigh* The books get better n Better!

Thanks for stopping by girlies! MWAH!!

jaymzangel said...

hehe, so glad you're happy with your luvah Rourke. *whispers* ummmm, still haven't read any of these yet. don't keel me, bt. *hides*

Sparklybearsy said...

I shall spank you with a spiked paddle until you fall for the luciousness that is the tall irish love god Roarke, BT!!!! *chases*

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

LOL, you know how to sell a book, hon!! I just added #1 to my to-buy list :)

Sparklybearsy said...

YAY Janna YAY!! let me know what you think of it...and Roarke rawrrr =D

ErotRomReader (Janna) said...

:D Okay, I will!

SusiSunshine said...

I just don't dare to read the review. You are like 30 books ahead of me and no way to avoid spoilers there. But man, I so have to hurry to catch up. But I can't only read In Death books...LOL

Post a Comment

Thanks for the Comments! I love reading them.